[Beowulf] Badness in Shanghai upgrade

Bill Broadley bill at cse.ucdavis.edu
Thu Nov 20 13:59:00 PST 2008

Greg Lindahl wrote:
> I had been planning for a long time to upgrade a bunch of my AMD
> dual-core systems to quad-cores when quad-cores were cheap enough --
> same socket, no problem, right?
>
> Well, the motherboard that I have apparently doesn't supply quite
> enough power to the memory

Same dimms right?

> when it's being driven by a Shanghai
> quad-core cpu.

Which speed shanghai?  How big is your power supply?

>  My test machine panics once per 2-3 days. I have a
> couple of Barcelonas and they work fine with this same mobo.

Which speed barcelona?  That's really surprising since I believe all shanghai
cpus are lower power than all barcelonas.

Did you upgrade the BIOS?

Oh, what speed does the shanghai claim it's running the memory at?  Shanghai
can drive ddr2-800 instead of the barcelona's ddr2-667.  If your motherboard
and dimms are limited to 667 and you drive them at 800 that might be your problem.