[Beowulf] Getting started on parallelization

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Fri Nov 14 14:00:34 PST 2008

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 11:07:59PM -0500, Cesar Andres Polindara Lopez wrote:

> I have developed a finite element model for the simulation of
> poroelastic materials. The model requires the implementation of a time
> integration scheme (also known as step by step algorithms) hence
> iterations are performed. For each iteration I have to solve a linear
> system of equations so I have to calculate the inverse of a matrix and
> then execute a multiplication.

Good news: look up BLAS, and you will find a standard interface for
doing matrix computations. There are parallel implementations
available: Atlas, AMD ACML, Intel's math lib, etc etc.

Bad news: Are you really inverting the matrix? You should probably be
doing something like LU decomposition.

-- greg