[Beowulf] How Can Microsoft's HPC Server Succeed?

Craig Tierney Craig.Tierney at noaa.gov
Wed May 28 14:49:54 PDT 2008

Greg Lindahl wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 12:26:28PM -0700, Donald Becker wrote:
>
>> And it's why I consider full installation to be unworkable
>> for large clusters, especially when re-installation is considered to be
>> part of cluster administration.
>
> There seem to be 3 main opinions in this area of cluster admin:
>
> 1) Install little or nothing on the nodes; reboot all the time
>
> 2) Heavy install on the nodes; re-image to ensure consistency
>
> 3) Heavy install on the nodes; other mechanism to ensure consistency

Your forgot:

4) Install nothing on the nodes, pull a kernel over the net, mount
root filesystem via NFS.  Do a heavy install, manage a single image
with RPM or other package manager, have little specific config for each
individual node, rarely reboot, consistency guaranteed when all nodes
mount the same filesystem.

Craig

Craig Tierney (craig.tierney at noaa.gov)