[Beowulf] TOE on Linux?

Joel Jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Wed May 14 13:25:35 PDT 2008

Prentice Bisbal wrote:
>> Does anyone know of any network cards/drivers that support TOE (TCP
>> Offload Engine) for Linux? A hardware vendor just told me that Linux
>> does not support the TOE features of *any* network card.
>>
>> Given Linux's strong presence in HPC and the value of having TOE in a
>> cluster, I find that hard to believe.
>>

> I should have googled before asking that question. I googled for "Linux
> TCP Offload Engine" and got an eyeful. Apparently TOE = Evil to Linux
> developers.

Notwithstanding the material that you'd found... if your goal is
minimizing latency above all else adding another abstraction is probably
not the best place to start.

patent problems, maintainability and interaction with other software are
just a few issues that make it more problematic...

in one real example, intel nic TSO apparently broke tcp md5 for us just
a couple days ago, though in a field unrelated to HPC...