[Beowulf] Re: Purdue Supercomputer

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Tue May 13 04:40:45 PDT 2008

Alan Louis Scheinine <ascheinine at tuffmail.us> writes:
> Dr. Metzger may be mistaken when he makes the

Mr., please. I have no PhD.

> generalization that "Modern machines have both switches on the
> power supplies that turn off the whole power supply, and soft
> on/off buttons."

You appear to be correct. I have looked at a couple of rack mountables
I own, and it does indeed seem that not all of them have hard power
switches any more -- in particular, a couple of fancy Dells I have
don't. I hadn't even noticed the change. Clearly something to worry about.

> I could, of course, just pull the plug to eliminate the source of
> heat.

Probably worth keeping in mind during installs.

Perry E. Metzger		perry at piermont.com