[Beowulf] ECC support on motherboards?

Geoff Jacobs gdjacobs at gmail.com
Mon May 12 19:35:41 PDT 2008

Joel Jaeggli wrote:
> if you're operating at the component level it's a question which core
> logic chipsets are in use.
>
> In the amd case all socket F cpu's support ecc.

Does support for ECC on AMD 64 bit processors bypass BIOS support, for
the most part? Let me rephrase: if I install an Opteron in AM2 form
factor along with ECC ram on a consumer motherboard, will a Bluesmoke
kernel still trap on a memory error even if the BIOS does not
specifically support ECC?

--
Geoffrey D. Jacobs