[Beowulf] Re: Purdue Supercomputer

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Mon May 12 05:49:17 PDT 2008

Alan Louis Scheinine <ascheinine at tuffmail.us> writes:
[Describing machines that had IPMI installed...]
> We installed 1U cases in a rack and plugged-in the machines
> but they were turned-off.

Were the power supplies physically turned off or were these machines
"soft off"? Modern machines have both switches on the power supplies
that turn off the whole power supply, and soft on/off buttons. My bet
is that the power supplies on these were not actually in the "off"
position.

Under circumstances like this, I would have left off all the hard
power switches until the time was ready to bring the cluster up.

Perry E. Metzger		perry at piermont.com