[Beowulf] Purdue Supercomputer

Alex Younts alex at younts.org
Sat May 3 21:00:46 PDT 2008

Joshua mora acosta wrote:
> Does anyone know what is the detailed plan for building that thing with 200
> people in just 1 day?

Yep:

> I am very curious to understand what things can be done in parallel, what
> things are serialized from the point of view of installation, testing and
> evaluation/assesment.

There will be several teams. Multiple 5-6 person teams unboxing nodes
from their shipping boxes and sorting the materials for recycling. A
couple cart runners going up and down the elevators into the data
center. Then, there will be 5-6 3 person teams racking nodes and doing
the cabling all at once. At the end of the train of people doing the
hardware, they'll be about 3-4 people coming along and installing the
nodes. (We use RedHat's kickstart and some special scripts we cooked
up.) Almost all of this process is parallelized (probably everything
but the lunch line.)

Once the nodes have a base install, they'll reboot and cfengine will
run to make them "real" nodes.

> Even monitoring the progress,identifying critical tasks, balancing the
> workforce, having several B,C plans in case plan A fails.

We have a project manager and a lot of staff that have been putting a
ton of time into this event.

> And what is the final target, to run across the entire cluster HPL by the end
> of the day?

To be running user jobs within 24 hours. We will do the benchmarking
later after all the DOA hardware has been fixed.

> What is a day in here a business day or 24hours?

The cluster hardware will be done in eight hours, and the software
will simmer for up to 24 hours.

We have built out a beefy install infrastructure to support a lot of
simultaneous installs...