[Beowulf] NUMA info request

Eric Thibodeau kyron at neuralbs.com
Mon Mar 24 08:40:19 PDT 2008

Mark,

    NUMA is an acronym meaning Non Uniform Memory Access. This is a
hardware constraint and is not a "performance" switch you turn on. Under
the Linux kernel there is an option that is meant to tell the kernel to
be conscious about that hardware fact and attempt to help it optimize
the way it maps the memory allocation to a task Vs the processor the
given task will be using (processor affinity, check out taskset (in
recent util-linux implementations, ie: 2.13+).

    In your specific case, you would have 4Gigs per CPU and would want
to make sure each task (assuming one per CPU) stays on the same CPU all
the time and would want to make sure each task fits within the "local" 4Gig.

Here is a link that should help you out with that respect:

http://www.nic.uoregon.edu/tau-wiki/Guide:Opteron_NUMA_Analysis

Eric