[Beowulf] some tips on new cluster hardware

Jeffrey B. Layton laytonjb at charter.net
Sat Mar 15 16:27:00 PDT 2008

Guilherme Menegon Arantes wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> We are buindling a new baby and would like some tips on inexpensive
> hardware. Any help is much appreciated:
>
> 1) Suggestions on MoBo's that support a 1333MHz FSB to plug Intel's
> Q9450, with video and jumbo-frames capable Gigabit on-board;

To get a good idea, look at www.newegg.com and look for motherboards
that people like and also have a fair number of reviews. You might want
to think about looking at a newer chipset instead of really old ones while
you're at it (just my opinion).

> 2) NIC PCI Gigabit card, jumbo-frames capable (because I might be
> asking too much on item 1);

I would think about using a simple PCI-e x1 GigE card. Intel has a good
one that's not too expensive. Doug Eadline has done some testing and
these NICs look a bit better than simple PCI NICs.

Jeff