[Beowulf] Re: "hobbyists"

Lombard, David N dnlombar at ichips.intel.com
Thu Jun 26 14:34:01 PDT 2008

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 09:14:50PM +0100, andrew holway wrote:
> I know where this is going and right away I'm going to trump you with
> this picture of a trailor park mansion:-
> http://bp1.blogger.com/_CCeVPrmu0G8/R8g0BnShRiI/AAAAAAAAAeU/M_ZJvm985yA/s1600-h/redneckmansion2.BMP

OK, so the container in the lower right corner (and the others presumably
behind the other on-ground units) is at least loaded along expected load
paths.

The on-end containers though, that support the units above the 2nd, um,
level--I started to write "is really scary", but who am I kidding!?
The WHOLE THING is *beyond* scary.  There simply isn't any expectation of
containers being loaded along that axis.  BTW, that middle on-end
container, supporting the highest unit, also looks to be standing on a
platform behnd the white/yellow trailer.  One fun way that this sorry
example could be worse is if two containers were stacked on end...

FWIW, the on-end containers present an 8'x8.5' (2.4m x 2.6m) footprint.
Containers are 20 ft (6.1 m) or 40 ft (12.2 m) long when used in
containerized shipboard transport*; they can be longer for non-shipboard
uses, e.g., truck and rail.

APL does support longer containers.

--
David N. Lombard, Intel, Irvine, CA
I do not speak for Intel Corporation; all comments are strictly my own.