[Beowulf] A simple cluster

Geoff Jacobs gdjacobs at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 10:32:39 PDT 2008

Peter St. John wrote:
> Geoff,
> Oops! I totally misunderstood it. So it's strictly shared-memory, and
> requires something like MPI for crossing nodes. Gotcha. Big mistake, thanks.
> Peter

Shared memory only, yes. Many, many people skip OpenMP completely and go
pure MPI. From a coding standpoint it's far easier to multiprocess using
one technique rather than two, and the performance gains for using both
tend to be marginal or non-existent -- at least in my experience.

There was a long discussion a while back on the list about the pros and
cons of each approach.