[Beowulf] Again about NUMA (numactl and taskset)

Mikhail Kuzminsky kus at free.net
Thu Jun 26 09:10:43 PDT 2008

In message from Håkon Bugge <Hakon.Bugge at scali.com> (Thu, 26 Jun 2008
11:16:17 +0200):

Numastat statistics before Gaussian-03 run (OpenMP, 8 threads, 8
cores,
requires  512 Mbytes shared memory plus something more, may be fitted
in memory of any node - I have 8 GB per node, 6- GB free in node0 and
7+ GB free in node1)

node0:
numa_hit 14594588
numa_miss 0
numa_foreign 0
interleave_hit 14587
local_node 14470168
other_node 124420

node1:
numa_hit 11743071
numa_miss 0
numa_foreign 0
interleave_hit 14584
local_node 11727424
other_node 15647
Statistics after run:

node0:
numa_hit 15466972
numa_miss 0
numa_foreign 0
interleave_hit 14587
local_node 15342552
other_node 124420

node1:
numa_hit 12960452
numa_miss 0
numa_foreign 0
interleave_hit 14584
local_node 12944805
other_node 15647

Unfortunately I don't know, what exactly means this lines !! :-(
(BTW, do somebody know ?!)

But intuitive it looks (taking into account the increase of
numa_hit and local_node values), that the allocation of RAM was
performed from BOTH nodes (and more RAM was allocated from node1
memory - node1 had initially more free RAM).

It is in opposition w/my expectations of "continuous" RAM allocation
from the RAM of one node !

Mikhail Kuzminsky,
Computer Assistance to Chemical Research
Zelinsky Institute of Organic Chemistry
Moscow