[Beowulf] Go-playing machines

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Tue Jun 24 20:17:04 PDT 2008

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008, Peter St. John wrote:

> On a finite board, the game eventually becomes local; in fact "contact
> plays" are common after about the first dozen moves, but they are
> inescapable later. But the possibilities are horrible, the numbers are huge,
> for tree-searching. The new thing is monte carlo; to consider a move, the
> machine actually plays that position against itself a few hundred times
> (with a trivial, not recursive, algorithm) and weighs the move by the
> percentage of outcomes. It's weird, to me.

It makes sense to me.  It's in some sense more like humans play.  In
fact, if one can come up with any (even very simple) "local" rules to
semi-prune the tree, you can imagine an importance-sampling monte carlo
algorithm.

However, if I were going to try, it would be genetic algorithm all the
way.  Don't explore trees exhaustively; too many of them.  Don't sample
them (especially if you can't create a canonical weight to do importance
sampling); too many of them.  Breed them.  There are still too many, but
again, if one can generate ANY sort of fitness function, maybe one can
get the N^3 and exponential growth of favorable possibilities that are
like "making a decision".

Fortunately, I'm not going to try.  Neural nets are much more fun.  And
MIGHT be able to manage the complexity -- especially one built with a
GA...;-)

    rgb