[Beowulf] Go-playing machines

Peter St. John peter.st.john at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 18:35:03 PDT 2008

That go is "vastly" more complex is a matter of degree; but there are bounds
on e.g. the number of possible games, and if chess is googleplex times 2, go
is up-arrow-googleplex. That's not my official mathematician estimage :-)
but yeah go is horribly complex, and more horribly than chess, but still
tractable to folks who think as we do.

Go programs can beat even masters, now, on the 9x9 board, and I think
recently they play well enough to beat a master on the full 19x19,
*occasionally*, at *fast time controls*, and with handicaps. When I played
Many Faces of Go several years ago I could beat it at 13 stone handicap, but
it could beat me at 17 (Edward Lasker said that 3 stones was like knight
odds in chess). But now, if I play a "bot" on KGS, I have difficulty giving
it a 6 stone handicap. That's a huge improvement (to me). There is still a
lone way to go.

On a finite board, the game eventually becomes local; in fact "contact
plays" are common after about the first dozen moves, but they are
inescapable later. But the possibilities are horrible, the numbers are huge,
for tree-searching. The new thing is monte carlo; to consider a move, the
machine actually plays that position against itself a few hundred times
(with a trivial, not recursive, algorithm) and weighs the move by the
percentage of outcomes. It's weird, to me.

Peter