[Beowulf] NVIDIA GPUs, CUDA, MD5, and "hobbyists"

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Wed Jun 18 16:16:27 PDT 2008

Jakob,

You are speaking here of a hobby project of a system administrator
to crack a few passwords in the slowest possible way?

In general very stupid algorithms do not benefit much from caching
things in RAM,
let alone caches and are lightyears slower than what is possible.

Game tree search is a great example of this, but lately also in
weather research
they've found more sophisticated methods if i read this list correctly.

Apart from all this.

See www.wassenaar.org

That is a treaty that USA wanted and many nations signed it.
Called the Wassenaar treaty. Maybe therefore a new embassy from USA
gets built now in the town Wassenaar (close to The Hague).

Treaty, if i read it well, makes problems using public key above 512
bits.

So according to that treaty, if i read it correct, trying to do anything
with a SSH which uses usually 1024 bits RSA, is already meaning you
are a criminal category 5 (highest category).

In fact programming that SSH 1024 bits code already makes you a big
enemy of the state as it is above 512 bits.

So your posting rises the question with me, without thinking yet
about the CUDA component of your solution,

Is it legal what your friend is doing for his hobby in his sparetime?

Thanks,
Vincent

checkout: http://www.primenumbers.net/prptop/prptop.php