NDAs Re: [Beowulf] Nvidia, cuda, tesla and... where's my double floating point?

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Tue Jun 17 18:26:17 PDT 2008

Mark Hahn <hahn at mcmaster.ca> writes:
>> I'm moving into only gives me enough power for 16 machines per
>> rack. But older colos are only 2/3 of that. These are HPCish nodes.
>
> I guess I'm not surprised, but then again, it does make me scratch
> my head about vendors who are still in love with blades.  you know,
> headlines like "HP puts 1000 cores in a rack".  and who buys them?
> I picture PHB's buying blade chassis and then putting just one per
> rack for heat-density reasons.

I have worked with companies using them quite successfully, in fully
populated racks.

If you have a machine room in an office tower in midtown Manhattan
(and some people have no choice but to do that), your main concern is
space, not power. There are places where you can buy more power far
more cheaply than more space.

Perry E. Metzger		perry at piermont.com