[Beowulf] Nvidia, cuda, tesla and... where's my double floating point?

richard.walsh at comcast.net richard.walsh at comcast.net
Tue Jun 17 06:52:10 PDT 2008

From: Vincent Diepeveen <diep at xs4all.nl>

> Seems the next CELL is 100% confirmed double precision.
Mmm ... "it seems ... 100% confirmed" ... this is confusing, it is either certain or "it seems ...", not both.  I have not seen it confirmed anywhere that the PowerXCell (the new chip just announced) is 100% IEEE 754 double-precision compatible.  The old generation chip was, but at 1/4 the speed.  The new chip runs double precision at ~100 Gflops, and I am guessing that now its double precision has limited IEEE 754 compatibility like single precision did/does... not that this is important to all applications.   If you "know" otherwise and can point me to supporting documentation, I would be interested.
rbw
--

"Making predictions is hard, especially about the future."

Niels Bohr

--

Richard Walsh
Thrashing River Consulting--