[Beowulf] User resource limits

Prentice Bisbal prentice at ias.edu
Thu Jun 12 13:03:07 PDT 2008

Chris Samuel wrote:

> Unfortunately the kernel implementation of mmap() doesn't check
> the maximum memory size (RLIMIT_RSS) or maximum data size (RLIMIT_DATA)
> limits which were being set, but only the maximum virtual RAM size
> (RLIMIT_AS) - this is documented in the setrlimit(2) man page.
>
> :-(

Yeah... I was just reading the setrlimit man page. Does that mean that
the only way I can limit RAM usage is with RLIMIT_AS? (Or "as" in
limits.conf parlance) I would have to limit AS < RAM to keep a user from
using all RAM. Since AS includes virtual memory, and VM = RAM + swap,
wouldn't I be limiting users a little more than I'd hoped?

--
Prentice