[Beowulf] Linux cluster authenticating against multiple Active Directory domains

Chris Samuel csamuel at vpac.org
Thu Jul 31 22:26:28 PDT 2008

----- "Chris Samuel" <csamuel at vpac.org> wrote:

> We are helping a Uni set up a Linux cluster (CentOS 5
> based) and we've found out that they have two separate
> Active Directory instances, one for staff and one for
> students.

Thanks to *everyone* who responded, very kind of you
all to take the time!

We will look into the various suggestions, but the
major issue we've just found out about is that they
use the same algorithm to create usernames in both
AD systems, and so all you need are a staff member
and a student with the same name and you have a
collision.

My gut feeling is that this pretty much rules out
using their AD system, but I'd love some more sage
advice about whether any of the systems are able to
cope with that situation ?

I'll reply to a couple of the points that people
have brought up separately, but I did want to thank
everyone first so those I don't reply to don't feel
I'm ignoring them! :-)

cheers,
Chris