[Beowulf] Building new cluster - estimate

Ivan Oleynik iioleynik at gmail.com
Sun Jul 27 18:58:38 PDT 2008

Joshua,

Thanks for your response.

I may be wrong but Barcelona at 2.3GHz is being offered at the same price as
> Harpertown at 2.8GHz.

Yes, both opteron 2356 and Xeon E5440 are comparable in pricing (~ $700),
but it is 0.5 GHz difference!

I am going to run some tests, but our previous experience with 2.0GHz
Barcelona was not very encouraging.

> I think you can find Barcelona 2.3GHz from Dell for $1800 USD or around
> that
> with SDR.

Is this price with fully loaded unit (both cpu chips and decent amount of
memory present)? I would like to get the link to the source of info, if
available.

Thanks,

Ivan