[Beowulf] How to configure a cluster network

Patrick Geoffray patrick at myri.com
Thu Jul 24 16:02:11 PDT 2008

Hi Mark,

Mark Hahn wrote:
>> With any network you need to avoid like the plauge any kind of loop,
>> they can cause weird problems and are pretty much unnessasary. for
>
> well, I don't think that's true - the most I'd say is that given

It is kind of true for wormhole switches, you can deadlock if you have
loops (direct of indirect). The subnet manager / mapper will often prune
some loopy links to be able to generate deadlock-free routes in
polynomial time. So, you could have links that are just not used by any
routes in funky topologies. Ethernet spanning tree is the most extreme
paranoia, it will always prune all links but one between 2 switches
(modulo link aggregation).

Patrick