[Beowulf] How to configure a cluster network

andrew holway andrew at moonet.co.uk
Thu Jul 24 11:15:17 PDT 2008

Well the top configuration(and the one that I suggested) is the one
that we have tested and know works. We have implimented it into
hundereds of clusters. It also provides redundancy for the core
switches.

With any network you need to avoid like the plauge any kind of loop,
they can cause weird problems and are pretty much unnessasary. for
instance, why would you put a line between the two core switches? Why
would that line carry any traffic?

When you consider that it takes 2-4μs for an mpi message to get from
one node to another on the same switch, each extra hop will only
introduce another 0.02μs (I think?) to that latency so its not really
worth worrying about especially at the expence of reliability.

Most applications dont use anything like the full bandwidth of the
interconnect so the half bisectionalness of everything can generally
be safeley ignored.

All the spare ports you have on the edge switches can be used for
extra connections to the core switches.

ta

Andy