[Beowulf] problem with binary file on NFS

Mark Hahn hahn at mcmaster.ca
Thu Jul 24 06:51:17 PDT 2008

> I checked the man page for ldd and it says that it may not work if an old
> comiler was used to produced the executable. I think it's like symbolic

ldd basically just runs the executable with some special flags
talking to ld.so.

>> PIII 1 GHz machine. All nodes are running on Debian Etch. The program in

all nodes have exactly the same configuration?  same versions, same
/etc/ld.so.conf, etc?

>> ldd polymc_s
>>         not a dynamic executable

which just means that ld.so failed for it, I think.

>>   strace ./polymc_s
>> execve("./polymc_s", ["./polymc_s"], [/* 18 vars */]) = -1 ENOMEM (Cannot
>> allocate memory)
>> +++ killed by SIGKILL +++
>> Process 2177 detached
>>
>> I am currently running memtest, no problems thus far. Other programs like

no, those are not the symptoms of flakey memory, but rather not enough.
there's nothing else on that node consuming memory?  does it actually
have the same amount as the other nodes?  what does "ulimit -a" say?
how about /proc/meminfo?  are you using /proc/sys/vm/overcommit_memory=2?