[Beowulf] Drive screw fixed with LocTite

David Mathog mathog at caltech.edu
Wed Jul 23 15:25:44 PDT 2008

A vendor who shall remain nameless graced us with a hot swappable drive
caddy in which one of the three mounting screws used to fasten the drive
to the caddy had been treated with blue LocTite.  This wasn't obvious
from external inspection, but the telltale blue glop was on the threads
when the screw finally let go and came out.  It was beginning to look
like power tools were going to be needed to get it out, and the screw
head was pretty badly torn up after removal.

This is the first time I have encountered a drive screw on a removable
drive which was, well, unremovable.  Is this a trend or are we just
dealing with a sadistic assembler?

Thanks,

David Mathog
mathog at caltech.edu