[Beowulf] Human vs Compuer Go on a cluster

Peter St. John peter.st.john at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 19:49:23 PDT 2008

There is going to be a match at Go between a human professional and a
computer (a 3000 node cluster in France).

KGS is a free Go server; you can download a java client and watch the game
in progress. KGS is www.goKGS.com, and you can get CGoban from
http://www.gokgs.com/download.xhtml. Drop me a note if any questions.

The human is "8p", meaning 8-dan professional; not quite 3 stones stronger
than the bottom 1d pro, who in turn would give me (an amateur 1d) at least 6
stones (probably more). Edward Lasker said that 3 stones handicap at Go is
comparable to knight odds at chess (although I think that overstates).

Peter

The notice from the AGA is:

*HUMAN-COMPUTER SHOWDOWN AT CONGRESS*: While computers long ago surpassed
humans at chess, the best go programs haven't been able to hold a candle to
professional human players. In 1997, Janice Kim -- then a professional 1-dan
-- beat Handtalk, then the strongest program, despite giving the program a
25-stone handicap. There has been considerable progress in computer go
research since then - do humans still reign supreme? Find out on Thursday,
August 7 at 1P, when Kim MyungWan 8P takes on MoGo, the world's strongest
computer go program. MoGo will connect remotely from France, where it will
be running on a supercomputer boasting over 3,000 processor cores. The game
will be broadcast live on KGS.