[Beowulf] Green Cluster?

Geoff Galitz geoff at galitz.org
Sat Jul 19 13:42:00 PDT 2008

Many, many, many moons ago I wrote a plugin for the clustering framework
(now defunct) that we used and I was a developer on back at UC Berkeley.  It
was quite simple... it simply checked to see if jobs were in the queue, if
not it looked to see what nodes were free (using OpenPBS/Torque native
commands), did the necessary parsing of a few backend config files and then
issued standard shutdown commands to the idle nodes.  When jobs started to
back up in the queue, the plugin used WOL to start up nodes.

It was in perl and less than 100 lines.

I easily could have used IPMI instead, but many of the boxes we were using
had better WOL support than IPMI.  WOL is standard while IPMI can vary from
vendor to vendor... so if your needs are no more complex than this, WOL is a
good way to go.

-geoff

Geoff Galitz
Blankenheim NRW, Deutschland