[Beowulf] A press release

Lombard, David N dnlombar at ichips.intel.com
Thu Jul 10 13:22:06 PDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 10:50:03AM -0700, Jim Lux wrote:
> in classic /. form, should we not now interject:
>
> What about a beowulf cluster of PDP-8s (or -1s or IBM 1130s or...)?

Hmmm, don't know about the PDPs, but there aren't a lot of working 1130's
about.  ibm1130.org has one, along with cards, disk cartridges, docs, &etc.
They also have a simulator that permits you to run R2 V12!  Brings back
memories...  Too bad they can't find the EMU-Fortran.

As for a cluster of 1130 simulators; IIRC, the only networking they had
was in support of the RJE station. Perhaps you could run an EP code with
a 360 as the headnode :p

--
David N. Lombard, Intel, Irvine, CA
I do not speak for Intel Corporation; all comments are strictly my own.