[Beowulf] A press release

Prentice Bisbal prentice at ias.edu
Thu Jul 3 11:22:11 PDT 2008

Tim Cutts wrote:

> On 3 Jul 2008, at 5:09 pm, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:

>> Erm, do you have any examples of that?  All I see is RH a) trying to
>> sell their product (nothing wrong with that) and b) in general, being
>> a pretty good member of the OSS community.
>
> I agree - I've never seen FUD from Red Hat, but then I don't have much
> to do with them.

A) I remember reading propaganda (you might call it advertising) saying
that RHEL was the only Linux stable and robust enough for enterprise
applications. I don't keep all my old Linux Journals or archives of
www.redhat.com, so I can't provide concrete examples. Surely someone
else must have read stuff like that. Anyone? Anyone... Beuller?

I started on Red Hat, and still use RH and CentOS and other RH
derivatives, I'm not a fanatic of some other distro (or any distro, for
that matter)

B) Is making a name for yourself by giving away Red Hat Linux, then
suddenly pulling it off the market and trying to force people to pay
hundreds of dollars for your "enterprise" version being a good member?

I know they give away the SRPMS (because they HAVE to), but have you
ever tried rebuilding them on your own? It's not trivial. And Fedora,
well... it has it's detractors.

--
Prentice