[Beowulf] /usr/local over NFS is okay, Joe

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Thu Jul 3 08:24:23 PDT 2008

Prentice Bisbal wrote:
> Joe Landman wrote:
>>
>> Prentice Bisbal wrote:
>>
>>> Here's another reason to use tarballs: I have /usr/local shared to all
>> eeek!!  something named local is shared???
>
> Nothing wrong with that. "local" doesn't necessarily mean local to the
> physical machine. It can mean for the local site. I do everything

Yeah, it is ambiguous to a degree, but I figure that something named
/local is actually going to be physically local.  It helps tremendously
when a user calls up with a problem, say that they can't see a file they
placed in /local/... on all nodes.  Usually they get quiet for a moment
after saying that aloud, and then say "oh, never mind".  :)

[...]

> I don't dump the binaries into one path. I put symlinks into
> /usr/local/bin{,64}. All the binaries go into /usr/local/foo-xx.yy and
> stay there:

We used to do this, but things kept getting overwritten by zealous
package management tools.  So we started using modules and showing
people how to add paths by hand if they were adamant about not using
modules ...

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO