[Beowulf] Re: energy costs and poor grad students

Mark Kosmowski mark.kosmowski at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 08:19:42 PDT 2008

On 7/2/08, Joe Landman <landman at scalableinformatics.com> wrote:
> Hi Mark
>
> Mark Kosmowski wrote:
> > I'm in the US.  I'm almost, but not quite ready for production runs -
> > still learning the software / computational theory.  I'm the first
> > person in the research group (physical chemistry) to try to learn
> > plane wave methods of solid state calculation as opposed to isolated
> > atom-centered approximations and periodic atom centered calculations.
> >

> Heh... my research group in grad school went through that transition in the
> mid 90s.  Went from an LCAO-type simulation to CP like methods.  We needed a
> t3e to run those (then).
>
> Love to compare notes and see which code you are using someday.
> On-list/off-list is fine.

Right now I'm using CPMD.  This is the first package I've looked at
and wrestled with the 32-bit limitations of memory allocation prior to
the debut of the Opterons.  I was at the cusp of buying UltraSparc
hardware at student pricing to go forward when the Opterons were
released to market, so I decided to go with the PC hardware I was
already familiar with.

We're comparing calculations to inelastic neutron scattering
experiments and it looks like abinit or quantum espresso might be a
better choice for this to do vibrational analysis at q-space other
than the gamma point.  Speaking of, I only have an eighth of a clue
about understanding k-points (and, by extension, q-space).  If anyone
can suggest some reading for this topic that even a part-time
chemistry student can understand it would be greatly appreciated.

> > It is turning out that the package I have spent the most time learning
> > is perhaps not the best one for what we are doing.  For a variety of
> > reasons, many of which more off-topic than tac nukes and energy
> > efficient washing machines ;) , I'm doing my studies part-time while
> > working full-time in industry.
> >

> More power to ya!  I did mine that way too ... the writing was the hardest
> part.  Just don't lose focus, or stop believing you can do it. When the
> light starts getting visible at the end of the process, it is quite
> satisfying.
>
> I have other words to describe this, but they require a beer lever to get
> them out of me ...

I make mead on occaision - if you're ever in central NY (Syracuse -
Rome - Utica area)...

Speaking of satisfaction, I did teach myself enough Fortran to add to
the CPMD code to give an output format natively readable by aClimax
(used to calculate harmonics from fundamental frequencies for INS).
This is/will be included in the recently/soon to be released version
of CPMD.  Heck, there's one or two pages of dissertation right there.
:)

> > I think I have come to a compromise that can keep me in business.
> > Until I have a better understanding of the software and am ready for
> > production runs, I'll stick to a small system that can be run on one
> > node and leave the other two powered down.  I've also applied for an
> > adjunt instructor position at a local college for some extra cash and
> > good experience.  When I'm ready for production runs I can either just
> > bite the bullet and pay the electricity bill or seek computer time
> > elsewhere.
> >

> Give us a shout when you want to try the time on a shared resource. Some
> folks here may be able to make good suggestions.  RGB is a physics guy at
> Duke, doing lots of simulations, and might know of resources. Others here
> might as well.
>
> Joe

Sounds good.  The big thing is getting a bit better understanding of
the theory, especially DFT dispersion correction to account for
hydrogen bonding.  I'm thinking that I will learn about DFT dispersion
correction with CPMD to at least get a reasonable understanding and
then consider learning one of the other packages to do q-space
calculations.