[Beowulf] Re: energy costs and poor grad students

Mark Kosmowski mark.kosmowski at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 06:11:46 PDT 2008

I'm in the US.  I'm almost, but not quite ready for production runs -
still learning the software / computational theory.  I'm the first
person in the research group (physical chemistry) to try to learn
plane wave methods of solid state calculation as opposed to isolated
atom-centered approximations and periodic atom centered calculations.

It is turning out that the package I have spent the most time learning
is perhaps not the best one for what we are doing.  For a variety of
reasons, many of which more off-topic than tac nukes and energy
efficient washing machines ;) , I'm doing my studies part-time while
working full-time in industry.

I think I have come to a compromise that can keep me in business.
Until I have a better understanding of the software and am ready for
production runs, I'll stick to a small system that can be run on one
node and leave the other two powered down.  I've also applied for an
adjunt instructor position at a local college for some extra cash and
good experience.  When I'm ready for production runs I can either just
bite the bullet and pay the electricity bill or seek computer time
elsewhere.

Thanks for the encouragement,

Mark E. Kosmowski