[Beowulf] A press release

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Tue Jul 1 16:31:50 PDT 2008

Mark Hahn <hahn at mcmaster.ca> writes:
>>> but why?  is there some concrete advantage to using Debian?
>>> I've never understood why Debian users tend to be very True Believer,
>>> or what it is that hooks them.
>>
>> And the Debian users can say the same thing about Red Hat users. Or SUSE
>
> very nice!  an excellent parody of the True Believer response.

Actually, he was just being reasonable.

> but I ask again: what are the reasons one might prefer using debian?
> really, I'm not criticizing it - I really would like to know why it
> would matter whether someone (such as ClusterVisionOS (tm)) would use
> debian or another distro.

Often it is just a question of what the people using the system are
used to. I often prefer using BSD systems, largely because of certain
technical advantages, but also to a great extent because my first big
Unix boxes were Vaxes running 4.2BSD in the early 1980s and after 25
years with the same flavor of Unix you get used to the way things are
done. It is much the same reason I use Emacs instead of vi -- I
started using Emacs on Tops-20 decades ago and I'm too used to it
now. If you told me I "have" to use vi, things would get ugly, even
though I don't think there is anything wrong with using vi per se.

Perry
Perry E. Metzger		perry at piermont.com