[Beowulf] automount on high ports

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Tue Jul 1 08:48:47 PDT 2008

Tim Cutts <tjrc at sanger.ac.uk> writes:
> Certainly on my systems where I use the am-utils automounter, I find
> the limit on the number of simultaneously mounted filesystems is more
> in the region of 1500.

And that's doubtless not from TCP port issues but because of other
kinds of resources being limited.

> I've been desperately trying to reduce the number of NFS filesystems
> we have though.  Currently our automount map has about 600 entries,
> I think.

Sometimes that's reasonable. I've seen large sites where everyone has
a workstation in front of them and all of the thousands of users get
their home dir automounted when they sit in front of a box and log
in. However, one notes that in such a situation, the automount maps
have thousands or tens of thousands of entries, but any given machine
generally only is mounting a few file systems.

Perry E. Metzger		perry at piermont.com