Commodity supercomputing, was: Re: NDAs Re: [Beowulf] Nvidia, cuda, tesla and... where's my double floating point?

Dan.Kidger at quadrics.com Dan.Kidger at quadrics.com
Tue Jul 1 01:46:14 PDT 2008

John is correct here.

It is one thing to do long range climate prediction yourself using distributed computing and tweaking the stochastics based on a set of starting conditions, and another to try and work out if it will be sunny next Tuesday.
Weather modelling is a different animal to CP- you need a supply of fresh input data - and a sophisticated infrastructure to harvest , collate, sanitise and feed these numbers into your computer model.

Also with CP you typically run many instances concurrently which takes weeks/months to complete, but with WM, you have maybe 6 hours to run the whole job from start to finish which implies a closely coupled cluster.

Daniel

Dr. Daniel Kidger, Quadrics Ltd.   daniel.kidger at quadrics.com
One Bridewell St.,             Mobile:    +44 (0)779 209 1851
Bristol, BS1 2AA, UK           Office:    +44 (0)117 915 5519