[Beowulf] VMC - Virtual Machine Console

Rayson Ho raysonlogin at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 19:20:33 PST 2008

On Jan 18, 2008 5:53 PM, Bernard Li <bernard at vanhpc.org> wrote:
> -- but I'd also like to hear whether there are any general performance
> benefits to setting CPU affinity.  Do major schedulers support this?
> Would this help with embarrassingly parallel jobs VS large MPI jobs on
> manycore machines?

I am working on adding processor affinity support for serial and
parallel jobs for Grid Engine, and I am working with the OpenMPI
developers to define an interface.

BTW, LSF 7.0.2 supports processor affinity for serial jobs. However,
supporting processor affinity for serial jobs is only useful when the
OS scheduler is dumb...

See also: "Enhancing an Open Source Resource Manager with
Multi-Core/Multi-threaded Support" -- this paper talks about the
support of processor affinity in SLURM: