[Beowulf] need for an advice on nfs and diskless clients

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Wed Feb 20 13:27:47 PST 2008

Greetings Maxime:

Maxime Kinet wrote:

> I know that there are several different options to make several clients
> mounting their filesystems, and that this one might not be the most
> efficient one, but I choosed that one just because I knew already how to
> do it. Now everything works fine, except that I would like to spare some
> diskspace on the master partition. Since each filesystem is around 500
> Mb, I quickly reach more than 10Gb just for the /tftpboot directory.

Have you looked at using UnionFS or AuFS to make a single shared file
system for the nodes, with a writable/localized component?  I presume
that most of the nodes will share most of the (static) files.  /var and
a few others (/proc /sys /etc ...) should likely be localized, but this
is fairly easy to do with UnionFS/AuFS.

Also, have you looked at Perceus?  They have a good system for running
out of a RAM disk, which you can leverage here as well.  There are some
diskless based cluster efforts that you could also explore (onesis).

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO
email: landman at scalableinformatics.com