[Beowulf] getting kubuntu to perform as a cluster os

Ellis Wilson xclski at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 10 15:11:38 PST 2008

Geoff Jacobs wrote:
> Jon Aquilina wrote:
>
>> i would use the server but im not extremely versed
with command line
>> commands except the simple sudo apt-get install
update upgrade
>> dist-upgrade auto clean, etc
>>

> Hmm... I would suspect some command line is going to
be required no
> matter what. I would recommend taking some time to
beef up your skills
> in that area.
>
> http://www.linuxcommand.org/learning_the_shell.php
>
> However, it should be possible to run (for example)
any *Ubuntu with a
> server kernel if that increases your comfort.
>
> BTW, feel free to contact me off list if you need
any command line pointers.

While I certainly don't intend to start any form of a
distro-war over
the subject, it seems to me that kubuntu is somewhat
on the polar
opposite side from what someone would see as desirable
for a cluster
distribution.  There are a number of more typical
distributions (notably
not using KDE and all of its related resource hogging)
that should work
fine.  I personally happen to be on the other side of
the spectrum,
avoiding X even on the master node and installing
everything either
using Gentoo or simply compiling everything up from
scratch if the
opportunity allows itself (and is a reasonably static
installation).  I
recognize this is not common and likely wouldn't even
try to defend it
being noticeably more efficient (I'm just heinously
specific about my
installations), but do argue that using not only X11
but also KDE on top
would be wasteful of resources for both RAM and CPU.
For small clusters
that are highly network bound perhaps this doesn't
matter, but in that
case you probably should be looking to an eight or
sixteen core system
instead of individual networked pc's.  But if you did
that again it
would matter since your problem would become processor
and ram bound
(unless your problem was so ridiculously parallel that
it somehow
overwhelmed the buses inside your computer, but I
would find that
surprising).

Ellis