[Beowulf] Re: Cheap SDR IB

Bill Rankin wrankin at ee.duke.edu
Tue Feb 5 09:21:53 PST 2008

>> There's definitely potential for better interconnects and game
>> clusters (deja vu, we must have discussed this some 5-8 years ago).
>
> Yeah, and my experiences with 2ndL are highly negatory as a
> consequence.
> It is a bad cluster design.  It does not scale.

I have not puttered around in SL for a while, but IIRC one of the
"problems" is that SL allows the user to create their own fairly
complex physical models and devices which is computationally
restrictive when modeled on the server side and also bandwidth
restricted when pushing the models out to the client.

WoW, OTOH heavily restrict user customization which saves both server
cycles as well as bandwidth.  This does heavily restrict the user
experience (which is one of the strengths of SL) but pays back in
responsiveness.

> SL needs to adopt some of the technologies of other MMRPGs -- the ones
> that work.  It makes the result more complex on the client side -- one
> has to update WoW every six months or so with new textures, maps, and
> display side bugfixes

Actually, SL was going through a frequent update period for quite a
while and I don't think it was any better than Wow in that respect.

-b