[Beowulf] Cheap SDR IB

Kilian CAVALOTTI kilian at stanford.edu
Fri Feb 1 17:44:54 PST 2008

Hi Mark,

On Friday 01 February 2008 12:10:38 pm Mark Hahn wrote:
> how is routing controlled in switchless configs?

It's not. :)

> does IB have node-level forwarding?

No, you can't forward traffic between non-directly connected nodes in
such a ring topology (without any switch). You would need intra-node
routing mechanisms which are not present in OFED. I don't know in other
implementations, though.

Besides, for each cross-over pair, you'll be creating a separate subnet,
and each subnet requires its own subnet manager.

However, in a 3-nodes ring, each node can directly connect to all the
other ones, and strictly speaking, you only have 2 subnets. So I guess
node-level fowarding is not an issue, and that's probably a viable
solution.

Cheers,
--
Kilian