[Beowulf] Re: Octave vs Matlab [was Re: Hadoop]

Andrew Piskorski atp at piskorski.com
Tue Dec 30 12:31:42 PST 2008

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 09:13:02AM -0500, Jason Riedy wrote:

> And I'm not a reluctant programmer.  When I needed changes, I
> dove into Octave and sent the changes upstream.  Not so easy with
> Matlab(TM), as some ever-recurring bugs have shown.

FWIW, I've never used Matlab, but a few years back (c. 2005 or so), a
friend of mine was using it fairly extensively in her grad school
research.

The interesting bit, was she was using Matlab on both MS Windows and
Linux, and noticed that many seemingly generic, non-platform-specific
bugs were eventually fixed on Windows, but years later, they still
hadn't been fixed on Linux.  That made me wonder about their bug
tracking and source control practices over there at the Mathworks...
It also suggested that Matlab for Linux was very much a second class
citizen in their product line.

--
Andrew Piskorski <atp at piskorski.com>
http://www.piskorski.com/