[Beowulf] Hadoop

Mikhail Kuzminsky kus at free.net
Mon Dec 29 08:33:23 PST 2008

In message from Gerry Creager <gerry.creager at tamu.edu> (Mon, 29 Dec
2008 09:01:21 -0600):

>As for Fortran vs C, "real scientists program in Fortran.  Real Old
>Scientists program in Fortran-66.  Carbon-dated scientists can still
>recall IBM FORTRAN-G and -H."

:-) I didn't check, but may be I just have Fortran-G and H on my PC -
as a part of free Turnkey MVS distribution working w/(free) Hercules
emulator for IBM mainframes.

>Actually, a number of our mathematicians use C for their codes, but
>don't seem to be doing much more than theoretical codes.  The guys
>who're wwriting/rewriting practical codes (weather models,
>computational chemistry, reservoir simulations in solid earth) seem
> to stick to Fortran here.

Our group works in area of computational chemistry, and of course we
write the programs on Fortran (95) :-) But I'm afraid that we'll start
here the new cycle of "religious language war" :-)

Mikhail Kuzminsky
Computer Assistance to Chemical Research Center
Zelinsky Institute of Organic Chemistry
Moscow