[Beowulf] Is this the J. Dongarra of Beowulf fame?

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Wed Dec 24 13:56:52 PST 2008

On Wed, 24 Dec 2008, Lux, James P wrote:

> Ran across the following quoted line from a SciGen created paper that was
> accepted to a conference and is getting some play on slashdot:
>
> "We performed a quantized emulation on Intelâ(TM)s mobile telephones to
> prove the work of Italian mad scientist J. Dongarra.”
>
> Recognizing the name, I’m prompted to ask the real question, is Jack an
> Italian mad scientist?

Italian I couldn't say -- his name sounds Irish to me.  Mad -- well, he
didn't act mad in our last conversation.  Not even angry.

Crazy?  Possibly.  All the Irish are Crazy.

    rgb

> The rest of the paper is full of interesting sentences:
> " While such a hypothesis is entirely a theoretical ambition, it rarely
> conflicts with the need to provide operating systems to computational
> biologists.”

As are, apparently, the authors of random slashdot authors...;-)

> http://entertainment.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/12/23/2321242

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu