[Beowulf] SSD prices

Chris Samuel csamuel at vpac.org
Thu Dec 11 16:04:47 PST 2008

----- "Greg Lindahl" <lindahl at pbm.com> wrote:

> If you're on the "I like a real system disk" side of the
> diskless/diskfull fence, these SSDs ought to be a lot more reliable
> than tradtional disks. And I'd like to get rid of the mirrored
> disks in our developer desktops...

Hmm, I was thinking that until I read this blog post by
one of the kernel filesystem developers (Val Henson from
Intel) who had some (possibly Apple specific) concerns
about data corruption & reliability and why she still
chooses spinning disks over SSD.

http://valhenson.livejournal.com/25228.html

This is one of the reasons I'm *really* interested to
get btrfs going on my Dell E4200 which has a 128GB SSD,
data checksums (and duplicate copies of data) are good..

cheers,
Chris