[Beowulf] Personal Introduction & First Beowulf Cluster Question

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 9 07:04:57 PST 2008

2008/12/9 Joe Landman <landman at scalableinformatics.com>

> Which tools do you have in mind?  The Autoyast package that we have set up
> for our customers installs the OS locally, as well as pdsh, ganglia, and
> several other tools.  Then in our finishing scripts which the autoyast.xml
> file links to, we set up SGE, adjust NIS/mounts, ...
>
> As I indicated, we get operational compute nodes shortly after turning them
> on.  The current version of autoyast.xml + finishing scripts we have
> constructed also builds a RAID0 for local scratch, uses xfs file systems for
> root and scratch, installs OFED RPMs (on SuSE), updates the kernel to a late
> model (2.6.23.14 or so) and does some sysctl tuning.

That's how Streamline originally installed their clusters. Works fine - you
do a generic SuSE install, and let the Autoyast tools do all the 'heavy
lifting' then run a post-install script which integrates your nodes into the
cluster, as Joe says by enabling NSI binding, copying across the batch
startup script (yada yada...).

I agree with Joe this would probably be a good way forward for you.