[Beowulf] Re: POST card recomendation?

David Mathog mathog at caltech.edu
Thu Aug 28 09:50:14 PDT 2008

"Billy Crook" <billycrook at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 14:00, Perry E. Metzger <perry at piermont.com>
wrote:
> > Cyberguys sells several models -- PCI and Mini PCI, though no PCI-X
> > that I've seen there.
>
> That is likely because PCI2.0 and 3.0 cards work in PCI-X slots.  A
> PCI post-code reader *should* work in a PCI-X slot just the same as in
> a PCI slot.

*Should* being the operative word.  One manufacturer of Post cards was
kind enough to answer my questions, and the relevant part of the email
exchange went like this:

  > > Some of our cards do support 3.3V but only in the standard PCI -32
  > > slot. Not the PCI -64 slot.
  >
  >I believe you.  What goes wrong in the 64 bit slot?   Seems like it
  >should work, but apparently, it does not.

  People often put the card in backwards. There is not slot key
  present. And it doesn't work anyway.

So, as I asked in the original post, does anybody here have a POST card
that is known to work in a PCI-X slot?  If not, I guess I'll just get a
PCI one and pray that when I hit a machine with its sole PCI slot filled
with a cheap video card, that that video card will work in one of the
PCI-X slots.

Thanks,

David Mathog
mathog at caltech.edu