[Beowulf] gpgpu

Mikhail Kuzminsky kus at free.net
Wed Aug 27 09:39:37 PDT 2008

In message from "Li, Bo" <libo at buaa.edu.cn> (Wed, 27 Aug 2008 08:50:11
+0800):
>Hello,
>IMHO, it is better to call the BLAS or similiar libarary rather than
>programing you own functions.

Eh, I would be happy to use GPGPUs only via math libraries - it's
equal for me to "black box" as Vincent said. But this libraries are
too restricted for our purposes.

> And CUDA treats the GPU as a cluster,
>so .CU is not working as our normal codes. If you have got to many
>matrix or vector computation, it is better to use Brook+/CAL, which
>can show great power of AMD gpu.

There is 2 possible interpretations of your word "better".

1) Brook+/CAL gives more high performance or price/performance etc
than Nvidia (hard+software)

or

2) It's simpler to program using Brook+/CAL.

What is the right interpretation ? BTW, is in necessary to use Brook+
w/CAL - or I may write the program using Brook+ WITHOUT using (and
detailed knowledge) of CAL ?

I.e. I want to write the "subroutine" on brcc, compile and then link
w/fortran program using some gcc function as a "wrapper" (for
organizing of interface to fortran).

Yours
Mikhail