[Beowulf] Infiniband modular switches

Gilad Shainer Shainer at mellanox.com
Tue Aug 26 12:50:06 PDT 2008

Dan Kidger wrote:

> Gilad wrote:
> > It was proven by the same person who did the slides you
> referred to,
> > when doing the same testing on IB DDR we got much better
> results with
> > IB versus Quadrics. your theory does not really meet reality.
>
> Care to describe to the list what these results were, and to
> speculate about why IB gave better results?
>
> Daniel

Sure. My intend was not to compare between IB and Quadrics, but to show
that the network/host injection rate is very relevant in contention
tests. For given host injection rate, increase in network capability
reduces the contention (assuming finite number of hosts.....). As for
the numbers:

Send ave: IB SDR 263MB, Quadrics 369MB, IB DDR 453MB
Receive ave: IB SDR 340MB, Quadrics 370MB, IB DDR 547MB

I noticed that Quadrics decided to use just part of those numbers for
their poster at ISC ...  ;-)

Gilad.