[Beowulf] Re: Beowulf Digest, Vol 54, Issue 46

Peter St. John peter.st.john at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 11:08:51 PDT 2008

Just for the sake of historicity for those less -- chronologically
enhanced-- than RGB or myself, the joke is attributed to Stroustroup, not
Thompson.

1. Ken Thompson wrote B (late 60's). Really minimal. Based largely on BCPL,
but minimal, ergo "B".
2. Ken wrote Unix, in assembler.
3. Dennis Ritchie wrote C (sucessor to "B") to be usably featurefull (you
can read the entire definition of B in a few minutes, at
http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/who/dmr/kbman.html, which has been scanned and
cleaned up since I last saw it).
4. Ken and Dennis rewrote unix together in C. (Torvalds ported the kernel to
the x86 architecture, with an open license, unlike earlier ports; Pavel
Curtis ported X, lots of people subsequently did too many too wonderful
helpful things, etc)
5. Stroustrup wrote C++ (which in C means, "the sucessor of C", that is, the
increment operator; so continues the joking naming convention). The name
"C++" is something of a joke, and it's sorta funny that it's not "++C" (give
you the value after incrementing, instead of before) and it is way more
featureful than Ritchie's usablility requirement.

As of C89 (I think) the // comment delimiter is in C; for awhile that whas
the only thing in C++  we all gladly adopted when writing K&R C for a C++
compiler :-) Ritchie apologizes for omimtting //. Similarly, THompson
apologizes for "creat" nomenclature. ("create").

I myself am glad to have functions (methods) associated with structures
(classes), it's great organizationally. However, I have never writeen:
cout << foo << '\n'
and I never will, other than to illustrate what I don't do. I have no idea
how that looks wholesome in Stoustrup's world view, definitely he has huge
amounts of language-designer wisdom which I myself do not, but it's not
necessary. stdio and stdlib are still there and they still work.  Sometimes
it takes me awhile to read someone else's C++, but sometimes it takes me
awhile to read someone else's C, and sometimes it takes me a while to read
my own :-) Neither language (or, neither subset) obliges clarity, and
neither prevents it.

Peter