[Beowulf] gpgpu

Li, Bo libo at buaa.edu.cn
Sun Aug 24 05:22:07 PDT 2008

Hello,
It is about 10 years.
GPU had been focused on the graphics for many years and as we knew that some game consoles going with great  computational power comparing to common CPUs, which gave some people the hints to utilize them for general computation. And then to professional graphic cards, and now on general GPUs.
There are two main stream GPGPU architectures at the moment: CUDA and Brook+/CAL, from NVidia and AMD respectively.
CUDA is a very good tools for TLP based GPGPU programming and CAL is a bit close to the hardware.
Hopefully, we can get the Larrabee from Intel soon, which is a GPU or many-core processor with amazing power.
Li, Bo